What Is The Meaning of Jesus’ Exception Clause in Matthew 19:9?Questions
What Is The Meaning of Jesus’ Exception Clause in Matthew 19:9? We answered that question on this episode of Real Truth. Real Quick.
1. The exception clause is NOT an expectation clause.
2. Expectation of Scripture is reconciliation and a fulfillmentof the covenant view of marriage.
3. Marriage is permanent on earth. Exclusive between male and female. Illustrative of Christ’s love for the Church.
4. If you end a marriage relationship for any reason other than your spouse already having committed adultery, your divorce will likely cause them to commit adultery.
5. What God has oned, we should not unone.
6. You can’t make someone “become” what they already are.
7. Kingdom people with a kingdom ethic, live how the King wants them to.
8. Moses commanded them to explain why they are divorcing their spouse, not to divorce their spouse.
9. The goal or expectation is that kingdom people will always desire and work for reconciliation.
“And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.” Matthew 19:9
“If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.” 2 Timothy 2:13
“And Pharisees came up to him and tested him…” Matthew 19: 3
“Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” Matthew 19: 3
“Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” Matthew 19: 4-6
“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Matthew 5:27-28
See Deuteronomy 24:1-4
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:3
“He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way.” Matthew 19:8
“When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house…” Deuteronomy 24:1
“But He said to them, “Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given.” Matthew 19:11
1. Can Believers Remarry After A Divorce?
2. Is It Ever Okay To Get A Divorce?
3. Watermark’s Statement on Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage
4. MESSAGE – What Jesus Says About Divorce in Matthew 5:31-32
Click the following link to subscribe to our weekly videos.
Click the following link to view our entire archive of questions and answers.
No comments yet.